What’s more relaxing on a cool night than sitting around a campfire with your family to roast marshmallows or zone out in front of the crackling flames?
Buying a fire pit is a guaranteed way to have a more relaxing patio space, but many homeowners worry about whether they’re safe to use on a wooden deck.
The simple answer is yes! In fact, there are many types made specifically for wooden decks. Keep reading this article to learn how you can choose the best and safest small fire pits for decks.
Fire Pits You Can Use on Wooden Decks
Having a wooden deck doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a backyard fire. You just have to select one designed to sit on wooden surfaces.
There are four types of backyard fire pits:
- Wood Burning: Typically made of steel and featuring screen covers
- Gel Fuel: Offers a cleaner burn and easily refilled with gel
- Propane: They run on the same tanks as your grill and turning them off is simple
- Natural Gas: You’ll need to install a permanent gas line to use this fire pit but they’re cheaper and easier to use
Once you decide on wood, gel, propane, or gas, the next step is picking a fire pit for your deck. There are a few other things to consider when making this selection.
Things to Consider When Selecting a Fire Pit
Before adding a fire pit to your wooden deck, think about the prevailing winds. The last thing you want is the wind blowing smoke into your home. Your guests won’t want to sit down-wind either.
Your priority should be to set up a safe fire pit. Run your plans by the local fire department first, they have experience in this realm.
The larger your fire gets, the more space it’ll need. This will prevent it from catching on nearby trees or debris. If possible, consider installing a stone hearth or screen around the pit.
To ensure your patio is safe for children, never leave them unattended near the fire pit, minimize trip hazards, and cut back loose bushes or trees.
Top Recommended Small Fire Pits for Decks
The time has come to purchase the fire pit of your dreams! You can buy them in-person or online at most major retailers.
Here are the five best fire pits of 2019:
- Blue Rhino Endless Summer Outdoor Propane Fireplace
- AmazonBasics Steel Lattice Fire Pit
- Sunnydaze Decor Cast-Iron Wood Burning Fire Pit Bowl
- Outland Living Firebowl Deluxe Portable Gas Fire Pit
- Best Choice Products Gas Fire Pit Table
The best bet for your wooden deck would be to buy one that runs on propane or natural gas. They’re easier to control and less likely to spark.
Your Patio Will Never Be the Same!
Finding small fire pits for decks shouldn’t be difficult. Now you know what to look for! Once you purchase a fire pit, your last step should be to sit back and enjoy it.
Read more of the Diamond Decks blog for tips on designing your patio space.